Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Butterflies, Battles, Bags, and Bananas

Jake got a butterfly habitat for his birthday from a neighbor. We ordered the larvae online and watched the process from larvae to painted lady butterflies. We ended up with three butterflies that survived. I think all 5 would have made it if I had been paying better attention and moved them from the cup to the habitat in time, but that's another story.
We decided to release them Tuesday when Izzy was here. Izzy got a little bossy in the process.
There were tears. Izzy didn't want Jake to touch the habitat. I had to remind her that the butterflies were his birthday gift. I finally caught the sad face on camera. Look at those cheeks! Look at the lips! Pathetic, huh? Doesn't it just make you want to give him anything he wants?
Jake opened the top, and they flew out so quickly that I couldn't catch them on camera. I think they were anxious to get away from the crying and fighting.

Kate and I have accomplished a lot of college shopping this week. I don't dare point my camera at her while we are out. Shopping is not her favorite thing to do.
She finally owns more than 2 pairs of jeans. She never needed much since she wore a uniform every day. I was relieved that she was able to find a bunch of pairs that fit and feel great. She's been spending a lot of time organizing her college stuff. She's really getting excited about moving in.

I introduced Jake (and Izzy) to a snack/breakfast item that use to be a favorite of Kate's. For years I would slice a banana, put a dab of peanut butter and a chocolate chip on each slice, and serve it to Kate for breakfast. We've discovered that Jake and Izzy like it, too!
This morning he ate the entire thing! :)

5 comments:

  1. Yummy, sounds so good!
    That picture of Izzy remined me immediately of Kate. Jake look like his dad especially when he wrinkles up his nose. My heart broke at poor face, poor guy! The good thing is he will know more about women than he ever cares too but the time he grows up!
    Know that summer is winding down for you and thoughts of college are dancing in your head. Enjoy these dog days, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God love Jake...yes, I would give him anything!

    I'm glad you got your shopping done with Kate yeseterday...I'm happy she is getting excited.

    That breakfast looks yummy...I will have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I totally need to try that banana thing on my kids. I think Ella might actually eat a banana if there was a chocolate chip involved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Jake...what a sweet face that boy has!! Girls will be lining up for blocks to help him. :)

    Love the PB and banana idea..keep 'em coming lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. FAb shots of J and I!

    Love this breakfast idea..I"m right on it...tyou! You can sell anything with a choc chip on it!

    ReplyDelete