Saturday, August 14, 2010

Great Ideas

I decided to follow this Martha Stewart recipe to make cupcakes from scratch for Kate. She can't have boxed cake mixes or canned icing because of the fructose intolerance. I seriously had no idea how complicated this project would be. I think I dirtied every mixing bowl, measuring cup ( I own 3 sets.), and measuring spoon (also 3 sets) in my kitchen. Jake got bored with the project quickly and entertained himself by spinning knives and playing balloon games.
I used the yummiest chocolate.
I just wasn't very happy with the results and the resulting mess. There was vanilla on the floor to be cleaned.
There was chocolate on my shirt to be cleaned.
The icing looked yummy, but the sour cream was too much. I could taste it in every bite.  I should have known I wasn't going to like that when I read the list of ingredients. The cupcakes tasted a little floury, too. After I made them, I realized that they would have to be refrigerated. What a pain that is.
If it were up to me, I would have thrown away the recipe. Kate seems to like the cupcakes, so I think I will be making them again. I won't be wearing white next time.

Last night we had our third party since the end of May. We're getting really good at throwing them together and cleaning up the mess.  We celebrated 4 family birthdays and Kate's goodbye. I didn't pull my camera out until pie time. I made ice cream pies which are always a family favorite. I did have to shop around a bit to find pie shells and toppings that didn't contain high fructose corn syrup. I can't actually take credit for the pie pictured. Baskin Robbins made that one. My 2 pies weren't out of the freezer yet. They don't look quite as perfect as the BR pie. ;)

When the kids lined up along the island, I just had to grab the camera. They looked so cute. Here are a few of my favorites. This first shot cracks me up. Everyone is busy,  but Jake is just focused on the candles.
I know...it looks like Izzy is holding a lit candle. I promise she is not.

3 comments:

  1. Can we humans party too much? I think not, whatever reason, it is all good. Everyone looks like they are having a good time except Miss I! The look on her face is priceless.
    My baking default is always homemade is taste better but you have to bake a lot to find the gems. They look beautiful and all the love you put in is what Kate will remember. Making your home Party Central is a great thing, as are you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cupcakes look yummy, Ang.

    We were so sorry to miss last night. Our friends were in town, and we didn't get the kids to sleep until 2:00...we are a little tired tonight. Please give Kate a hug from me.

    When Jake starts school, let's plan a lunch date and shopping. I still owe you a day out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for yet another party, Angie. It was so much fun that my whole family was there. I treasure those times. You did your usual great job. Love you.

    ReplyDelete