Monday, February 7, 2011

Older and Wiser

I am this time...with this child. If Kate had produced some of the artwork that Jake produces, I would have been worried.  I would have compared her to other kids. I would have consulted professionals. This time around I laugh. His teacher handed me this stack of work at his conference. The conference went well. Other than attention span problems during circle time, he seems to be right on track.  He'll get it eventually. He's on Jake time.
Actually the bear isn't too bad. They get more interesting. This next one is a beginning of the school year self portrait. I'm just trying to figure out which body part he was drawing.
 He apparently likes to stack body parts.



He said something that struck me as so funny yesterday. I wore a necklace most of the day. Later in the afternoon, I took it off. He was sitting in my lap and touched my neck. He said, "Hey...what happened to that ring around your head?"

Saturday's swimming lesson was an improvement over the first one. We had some tears at home before we left, but he pulled himself together. However when he noticed his teacher in the locker room, he started screaming and tried to lock himself in a stall. I reminded him that Daddy was waiting for him to come out of the locker room, and he was able to pull himself together again. He knows Daddy doesn't have much patience for that silliness.  The lesson was perfect! Not a single tear! I knew he would work hard to impress Daddy.

In the afternoon, we made cookies to take to Dan and Kathy's house. I turned around to wash something in the sink, and this is what I see when I turn back. This boy is fast. Of course, I let him stay on the counter while I grabbed my camera.







Dan and Kathy, I promise that I was done mixing before his tongue made it to the mixer. Dan...I promise the mixer was unplugged.

It was great to hang out with Dan and Kathy, drink some wine, eat some great food, and let the boys play.

 Jake was so interested in the real fire in the fireplace. It definitely sounds different than a gas fire.
 Sam was interested in Uncle Dan!




4 comments:

  1. I may be related to this wonderful boy! Fast and ready to go. His rosarymade me tear up, what a wonderful insight to his heart.
    I noticed with the boys and Miss M, that she does everything faster. Boys just take a bit more time to cath on and he is doing just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shot of the boys hugging is just so sweet !

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing how much the first child teaches you, and you realize not to sweat the small stuff. I think we have all gone through this with our second child. His artwork is priceless. You captured some great pictures at Kathy and Dan's house too. That last one is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the rosary! I think he is gifted. :)

    ReplyDelete