Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Apparently I come by it naturally...

Wow. What a surprise. I received a box for my birthday. This was a box my parents unexpectedly received from my aunt in California. It was filled with my grandpas camera equipment!!  He was a photographer, too! I don't know very much about him. He died of polio when my dad was only 7.  Now I know that I share a passion of his. I now know how he spent his free time. I've spent some time paging through his camera manuals. Wow...again. I can't even imagine shooting with this kind of equipment. That took so much talent and dedication.
For some reason, this new knowledge justifies what I'm doing...it's in my genes!

I got a second surprise. My mom found this shot. My grandpa is setting up his tripod.


I have this picture and his camera and light meter on a cabinet in my office.








I found a few more pictures of Grandpa to share.


I didn't have time to clean up that shot the way I want to. I'll need to work on that later. I know it's Grandpa because he had a cleft lip. We think he was born in 1918 or 1919 (January 23).


The above shot is my Grandpa and Grandma with my Dad.


I bet my Grandpa took the above shot of my dad. I see a lot of Jake in this shot.

I've been collecting vintage cameras for some time, and I sure never expected to add my grandpa's camera and equipment to the collection!  Did you notice his box of lenses and filters? Apparently he had to have everything...just like me! ;)
Here are some of my latest goodies. I had a couple of gift cards and some birthday money, so I treated myself to a few new toys. 


This new speedlight has been on my list for a long time. I can't wait to use it for Erik and Caitlin's wedding in August!



Don't laugh. I really wanted this. It's called a ring flash. It hooks to my new speedlight and wraps around the camera lens. I'm going to test this out in the studio this weekend and see how I like it.

There is something else going on around here that makes me really happy. I'm growing vegetables! Those of you who know me well are probably picking yourselves up off the floor right now. Honestly...this is always something I've wanted to do. I never tried it because of the chemicals that the lawn company uses in our yard. Yuck.  
Jake brought home a pumpkin seed from school for Mother's Day. We stuck it in the ground between my rose bushes. I honestly didn't think it would grow. Well...I was wrong....in a big way.


Yes...this is from one seed. Also...it's been trimmed at least 3 times. I am going to open my own pumpkin patch this fall...may even have pony rides.

Once this crazy thing started to grow, I decided it was time to grow other vegetables...in pots...to avoid contamination by the chemicals in the grass.







Peppers, rosemary, zucchini, roma tomatoes, grape tomatoes...I'm so excited!! I even bought a gerber daisy plant that is doing extremely well.


Of course, we can always count on our hummingbirds for entertainment. I've been filling this feeder every 3 days! I've seen up to 5 birds at a time on the feeder.





We ate our first 2 tomatoes a few nights ago. I just sliced them and sprinkled them with kosher salt, and now I'm craving more!



Today Jake picked our first zucchini. We sliced it tonight, seasoned with olive oil and garlic salt and threw it on the grill with our burgers.

 (iPhone shot)

Happy Birthday to my sweet Izzy!! She's 5 today! I did her 5 year old shoot a couple of weeks ago and will post soon.

5 comments:

  1. What a find Miss A! Your dad and Jake - wow, what a resemblance. Always think he looks like Dan but not anymore. Garden and hbirds look fabulous.
    Love that you have your GP photo close. :)

    Happy Birthday Izzy Girl! you will love 5!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous shots! Can't wait to see what you can do with that ring flash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie your vegetables look great - was Jack a big help in watching them grow? I've looked out your kitcen window many times with Jack to see if the humming birds were there. As usual your photos are amazing and make me homesick for you all. Yes, agree that Jake looks so much like your father.

    Love

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angie, this whole blog entry is mesmerizing me. I can't even imagine how valuable and meaningful the contents of that box you received with your grandpa's camera equipment and some photos...it is in your genes to be a photographer. Oh, the places you'll go with this career, Angie!!! Second, the hummingbird shots are phenomenal. You are such an all around great photographer. Love, Merr

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angie...I see soooo much of your grandfather in you - what a treasure :)

    ReplyDelete